Flipkart, the ecommerce marketplace, joins hands with the government of Gujarat on National Handloom Day through a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Commissioner of Cottage & Rural Industries, Government of Gujarat, under the Flipkart Samarth program.
The MoU aims to digitize local businesses that focus on the development of the crafts in every district and to make attempts to revive the languishing crafts in the state. Flipkart Samarth program will provide national market access through the Flipkart marketplace. As a part of this MoU, Flipkart Samarth and the Cottage & Rural Industries department through its flagship program Hastkala Setu Yojana will be supporting the MSMEs, artisans, weavers and craftsmen with strategic insights/market know-how to scale their products and thereby contribute to the livelihood generation of artisans and weavers from the state of Gujarat.
Speaking at the signing of the MoU, Balvantsinh Rajput, Minister of Industries, Micro, Small and Medium Industries, Cottage, Khadi and Rural Industries, Civil Aviation, Labour and Employment, said, “This MoU symbolizes a significant step forward in the commitment to empower and uplift the talented local artisans, weavers, and small businesses across our state. E-commerce will empower them to exhibit their products to a wider audience. This strategic alliance perfectly aligns with the Govt. of Gujarat’s vision to drive economic and social progress in our region while cherishing and preserving our rich cultural heritage.”
Rajneesh Kumar, Chief Corporate Affairs Officer, Flipkart Group, said, “With an unwavering commitment to contribute to India’s economic growth, Flipkart is dedicated to supporting millions of local businesses in their journey towards e-commerce adoption. We are excited to collaborate with the Commissioner of Rural and Cottage Industries, Gujarat, and discover avenues for growth by leveraging Flipkart’s capabilities and expertise. Together, we embark on a path that will empower businesses, promote a growth mindset, and create a positive impact on the lives of rural communities in Gujarat. Through our Flipkart Samarth initiative, we have significantly augmented the government’s Make in India and Aatmanirbhar Bharat mission by positively influencing the livelihoods of more than a million artisans, weavers, and craftsmen all over India.”
Flipkart’s partnership with the Cottage & Rural Industries department will be aligned with the following objectives:
● Creating employment prospects and uplifting the lives of artisans and weavers
● Creating mutually shared value in Gujarat, focusing on increased market access, linkage, and business inclusion opportunities for artisans and weavers
● Supporting local artisans with warehousing, account management, cataloging, and more services to help them achieve business excellence through the platform
● Building a stronger foundation for the Flipkart Samarth initiative in the state while aiming to digitize local businesses, share strategic insights to scale products and enable national market access for artisans and weavers
● Providing time-bound support, including training and other host of benefits for the growth of weavers and artisans, fostering a stronger engagement between Flipkart and the seller community in Gujarat.